Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What is the Point of Doing This?

Having just read the blog entry of Marta Sobczak on Parelli Central entitled, "When you Think of Parelli, What Do you Think of?", I thought I would take a few moments to answer this question for myself.

I could say all the usual words that pop to mind when I think of Parelli: partnership, freedom, fun, friends, learning ..... but really, its way more than that.  Its climbing on my horse bareback and feeling that sense of WOW that this gorgeous animal lets me go along with him.   Its being kid-on-christmas-excited to go to the barn instead of  nausea-inducing-dread going to the barn.  Its about the simplicity of popping a in a DVD to learn more instead of waiting for a weekly "riding lesson".  It is the re-found joy of doing nothing more than breathing in their horsey smell and being destressed by their steady munching sounds as they eat their evening feed.   It is the freedom to hug him when I want to and know he will never be ruined by too much love.   It is laughing and chatting with my Parelli friends on a gorgeous Tuesday afternoon as we try to remember something Ron taught in a clinic back in the spring of '09.    Its having a better relationship with your husband, your kids and your dogs ... and yourself ....because of what you learned from Parelli. 

When I think of Parelli, I think of an open door.   It is a rebirth back to where I started with horses as a kid.  Back when your first question was "what is he thinking?" and your second was, "how can I tell him what I want so he'll understand?"

So that's it - a little sappy but out there for the world to see.   I have to say that I love the question, "what is the point of doing this?"  The answer is so very, very simple it took me 20 years to figure it out.  Simply ... because I can!

Coming soon: my comments from our Level 3 clinic with Ron Pyne on Oct 16 & 17.  I'll leave you with a picture of my cute little chihuahua hating his pumpkin costume .... sometimes it is necessary to seek revenge on little dogs who shred toilet paper rolls all over the house!

1 comment:

  1. What a great blog post! Thank you so much Shannon!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete